Banner: Kenosha Human Development Services
24 Hour Crisis Line 262.657.7188 / 800.263.7188

Becoming A Foster Parent: Frequently Asked Questions

The regulations for fostering in Wisconsin are found here:

There are Levels of Care for fostering, and each Level has specific requirements. Here are some answers to the FAQ:

Will I be trained before I have a child placed? How much training is provided? Do I pay for the training?
KHDS, Inc. provides our own high-quality, skill-based training at no cost to you before you are licensed. Also, foster parents watch an on-line training provided by the state as an introduction to the foster care system. We also provide training on the requirements of DCF 56, which regulates foster care in Wisconsin. In total, there are about 40 hours of training provided.

Can a single person be a foster parent?
Yes. Some very successful foster parents have been single. The real question is whether or not you have the time and energy to work with children who have needs and whether you have a support system to get you through tough times.

We both work outside of the home. Can we be foster parents?
Yes. It is possible. You would need to have time available to provide supervision and treatment. If both work outside of the home, you will need good job flexibility and/or additional resources to assist you with school problems, illnesses and professional appointments.

We live in an apartment. Can we be licensed?
Yes, as long as there is adequate space for the children. The minimum standard requires 200 square feet per person in the home and 40 square feet of open floor space per child in the bedroom. Each child must be provided their own bed and children of the same gender are able to share a room, depending on their ages.

I am not sure we can afford to be foster parents. We pay our bills, but taking on kids can be expensive. How do we pay for it?
A generous reimbursement is provided for each child. The amount varies depending on the needs of the child, and foster parents express that it is sufficient to meet the needs of caring for the children. This includes food, clothing, recreation, allowance, school fees and daycare expenses if necessary.

What about health insurance? Would the child go on my health insurance?
Each of the children receives a state funded medical card that pays for medical, dental and psychiatric expenses. This includes counseling and medications.

Can we take the children on vacation with us?
In most situations the answer is yes and it can be a wonderful experience for the children. We do need to obtain permission from the parents and county social worker in most situations.

Will there be someone to contact when there is a problem?
Yes. Each family has a family consultant who is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via cell phone.

What if a child causes damage to our home, who's responsible?
The State of Wisconsin provides supplemental insurance to provide coverage when your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance does not cover the damage.

For more information on becoming a foster parent, please contact
Angela Martin at 262.657.7188 or

Foster Care Overview | Foster Care Fast Facts | Foster Care Frequently Asked Questions